Tuesday, July 06, 2004

A DEATH FORETOLD? TUNE IN TOMORROW: Goodness knows, I don't want to alarm any of my hypothetical readers, or engage in cheap blog sensationalism. However: I'm bothered today by a persistent ache in my sternum area. Sometimes the ache radiates down one arm or the other.

Looking back on the last few days and what events could have precipitated my current woes, I'm focusing on the three nights I spent over the long weekend sleeping on a fold-out sofa. You know the kind, with the metal supporting bar that hits you right about chest level? That bed did a number on my neck and the upper back area between my shoulder blades. And even though I slept in my own bed last night, the ache kept me from sleeping well. The pain worsens a little if I bend forward a certain way... this is probably a musculo-skeletal kind of thing. Yes, very probably.

However, looking back on the little I've absorbed about cardiac health from the pages of Parade and Reader's Digest and other reputable print sources, I'm thinking I could be having a heart attack.

What a hassle THAT would be, huh? I can think of several reasons to put THAT thought out of my mind real quick. I recently turned 40, which is made me about 10 times more of a hypochondriac than I used to be. I don't think I've designated a primary-care provider with my health carrier. so I could get stuck with a bitch of a bill. Also, a friend is counting on me to pick him up at the airport tonight. So today would be a really bad day to undergo time-consuming (even if life-saving) treatment measures.

Still... I'm troubled.

If any medical professionals are reading and have any pertinent information / life lessons / orders for 50 amps of epi, stat! -- please post in Comments.

No comments: